Power skills are an adaptive response of professional abilities to the changing needs of increasingly technological markets.
Adapting to these changes is crucial for the long-term success of projects in the information society. The advent of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), demographic shifts, and the implications of globalization require significant flexibility from businesses.
Therefore, organizations need their collaborators to develop skills tailored to potential evolutions, building a strong corporate culture to tackle present and future challenges.
In this context, it’s important to explain in detail what power skills are and identify the 12 most sought-after.
What are power skills?
Power skills are considered essential abilities to confront the challenges of current and future society, aiming to empower employees to become change agents within companies.
This enables each employee to thrive individually, focusing on both personal and professional success.
Moreover, they are prepared to transfer their knowledge to other team members, gradually embedding a culture of continuous skill exchange in the organization, enhancing competitiveness, and improving employee satisfaction.
Characteristics of power skills
Power skills are geared towards empowering individuals to lead, communicate, and adapt to change effectively.
While soft skills refer to an individual’s interpersonal and social capabilities, and hard skills encompass competencies, power skills have a long-term impact on individuals and projects, being truly transformative for personal and professional development.
It’s crucial to identify and nurture this type of talent so that individuals can:
- Face challenges and persist in the face of obstacles or frustrations.
- Manage failure and turn challenges into opportunities.
- Embrace a culture of continuous improvement and learning.
- Draw inspiration from the successes of their peers.
All these skills share the characteristic of being transferable, enabling workers to enhance their personal brand.
Subscribe today to SMOWL’s weekly newsletter!
Discover the latest trends in eLearning, technology, and innovation, alongside experts in assessment and talent management. Stay informed about industry updates and get the information you need.
Simply fill out the form and stay up-to-date with everything relevant in our field.
12 examples of the most in-demand power skills
The designation of 2023 as “The European Year of Skills” by the European Union underscores the importance of acquiring and enhancing power skills.
The project focuses on promoting the acquisition of skills related to digital competencies, fostering a mindset of professional improvement oriented towards innovation.
In line with this, these skills go beyond technical aspects, as outlined in the examples below:
The needed exponential leadership is agile, flexible, and participative, capable of delegating, motivating, and inspiring teams.
It should also identify talent that drives company growth.
Creativity is closely linked to innovation, providing the ability to solve conflicts with original and practical solutions.
Critical thinking and analytical reasoning
Analytical thinking allows for finding the best solutions to conflicts by approaching them from different perspectives.
It helps proactively assess the consequences of decisions and improve existing procedures to adapt to changing needs.
Agile conflict resolution
Tackling challenges in a fluctuating context requires mental flexibility that can quickly identify and solve problems.
The leadership discussed earlier builds trust in teams, fostering idea exchange and knowledge transmission.
In a constantly changing era, time becomes crucial.
Managing deadlines, facing setbacks, and optimizing resources are necessary for success.
New challenges require proactive communication.
People must express their ideas clearly and practice active listening, empathy, and patience toward others.
Recognition of professional values
Recognizing the ethical values necessary for creating a respectful work environment is another strategic skill, improving relationships and solidifying trust among individuals.
Cooperation is essential for developing projects with uncertain levels of uncertainty.
Balanced and others-focused character aids in achieving the necessary consensus for progress.
Negotiation is a skill that bridges gaps between individuals through communication, improving performance by reconciling differences among collaborators.
Emotional intelligence helps identify and manage emotions to face positive stimuli, frustration, and fear of failure.
Recognizing and managing one’s feelings is crucial, but recognizing emotions in others is equally relevant, fostering social intelligence that improves outcomes.
Benefits of power skills
We’ve just mentioned some of the main power skills, but there are some more. In any case, they bring with them some benefits that we should constantly take into consideration.
- Enhanced communication: Power skills contribute to effective communication, including active listening, clear expression of ideas, and understanding others. This fosters better collaboration and reduces misunderstandings.
- Improved leadership: Power skills such as emotional intelligence, empathy, and effective communication are essential for successful leadership. Leaders with solid power skills can inspire and motivate their teams, leading to higher productivity and job satisfaction.
- Increased adaptability: Power skills enable individuals to adapt to change more quickly. In a rapidly evolving work environment, embracing change and learning new skills is crucial for staying relevant and competitive.
- Better problem-solving: Critical thinking, creativity, and analytical reasoning are power skills that enhance problem-solving capabilities. Individuals with these skills can approach challenges from multiple perspectives, leading to more innovative and effective solutions.
- More vital team collaboration: Power skills such as teamwork, negotiation, and conflict resolution contribute to a positive team dynamic. Teams with members with these skills can work together more harmoniously, increasing productivity and creativity.
- Increased productivity: Power skills contribute to better time management, planning, and organization. Individuals who possess these skills can prioritize tasks effectively, meet deadlines, and optimize resources, leading to increased overall productivity.
- Enhanced career development: Power skills are highly valued by employers and can contribute to career advancement. Individuals with strong power skills are often better positioned for leadership roles and more adaptable to job market changes.
- Positive work environment: Power skills such as empathy, effective communication, and recognition of professional values contribute to a positive and respectful work environment. This, in turn, enhances employee satisfaction and reduces workplace stress.
- Customer relations: Power skills are crucial for building positive client relationships in customer-facing roles. Effective communication, empathy, and problem-solving skills improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Crisis management: Power skills become particularly valuable in times of crisis. Individuals with solid power skills can manage stress, navigate uncertainties, and lead others through challenging situations.
The role of technology in power skills development
Identifying the power skills necessary for your project within the talent evaluation framework is imperative for proper development.
In an increasingly competitive market, technology can help enhance these power skills in your company.
Strategies like the flipped classroom can gradually integrate into your organization, fostering collaborative work, analytical capabilities, adaptability to unforeseen circumstances, etc.
For assessments, you can create secure environments that strengthen trust bonds and reinforce your teams’ commitment for assessments. At SMOWL, we have extensive knowledge in this area, and we offer secure and privacy-respecting remote proctoring solutions.
Request a free demo to discover all the innovative solutions we can provide to enhance power skills in your project.
Discover everything you need about online proctoring in this book to know how to choose the best software.
Fill out the form and download the guide now.
And subscribe to the weekly SMOWL newsletter to get exclusive offers and promotions.
You will discover all the trends in eLearning, technology, innovation, and proctoring at the hands of evaluation and talent management experts.